Robert "Bobby" Raymond Scholarship
Guidelines & Application
Applications are now being accepted for the Robert "Bobby" Raymond Scholarship Fund Merit Award
The Bobby Raymond Scholarship Fund, established in 2011, was co-founded by Mrs. Ruth Raymond and Potter Violin Company in loving memory of Bobby Raymond. Scholarship awards from this fund are merit-based and will be offered to qualified violin students who have achieved Suzuki Book 4 and above as certified by their teacher to attend the Suzuki Institute of their choice.
Awards: $1000 to be awarded in totality to one recipient, divided into two awards of $500 each or divided into four awards of $250 each to be used to attend the Suzuki Institute or Festival of the student’s choice. The scholarship money will be paid directly to the Institute/Festival.
Application Process: The Bobby Raymond Scholarship Fund is administered by the Suzuki Association of the Great Washington Area (SAGWA). The applications must be received by June 15, 2014 (this is not a postmark deadline). Applicants’ performances will be reviewed by an independent, international panel of Suzuki teachers and performers. Decisions by the scholarship committee will be made June 22, 2014 and are final. Notification will be sent to all parties on June 23, 2014.
- Scholarships will only be awarded to students who are members of SAGWA and who study with teachers who are members of SAGWA and SAA.
- If student withdraws from the institute/festival for which the monies are awarded, scholarship money will not be applied to another event unless approved by the SAGWA Scholarship Committee.
- If the event does not occur or the applicant is not admitted, immediate notification to the SAGWA Scholarship Committee is necessary.
- Scholarship monies will be paid directly to the institute/festival for which the scholarship is awarded. Scholarship will not automatically transfer if student changes institute/festival to be attended.
- Scholarship recipients may apply and be considered for aid for any SAGWA scholarship award and should apply for each event accordingly.
Suzuki String Festival Scholarship
GWSI, GWSPI, or SAGWAFI Scholarship
- On the Event registration form, mark that you are requesting financial aid.
- Return each student applicant's original event registration form with the $35 per student deposit to the address listed on the Event Registration Form.
- Make check or money order payable to SAGWA or applicable institute: SAGWA Flute Institute (SAGWAFI), Greater Washington Suzuki Piano Institute (GWSPI) or Greater Washington String Institute (GWSI) to hold the applicant's spot at the event. Please send the $35 check and the event registration to the address listed on the brochure.
- Finally, send the completed Event Scholarship Application along with a copy of the $35 per student check to:
- Lerna May-Frandsen
- SAGWA Scholarship Chair
- 8102 Powhatan Street
- Hyattsville, MD 20784
Deadlines for Event Scholarship Applications
- February 28th for Spring event: Suzuki String Festival
- April 15th for the Summer Institutes: Greater Washington String Institute (GWSI), Greater Washington Suzuki Piano Institute (GWSPI), or SAGWA Flute Institute (SAGWAFI)
- June 15, 2014 for the Robert "Bobby" Raymond Scholarship Fund Merit Award
- September 15th for Fall events: Fall String workshop and Shenandoah Weekend
SAGWA Lesson Scholarships
DIRECTIONS: Please fill out the application form completely for each student applicant. The completed application packet should be received by the appropriate deadlines and submitted to:
SAGWA Scholarship Chair
8102 Powhatan Street
Hyattsville, MD 20784